Happy holidays!! I’m still in the midst of my 25-day vegan challenge and it has been at some points truly a challenge. Some really awesome things have come about as well. Namely, this vegan cranberry apple crisp which is also gluten-free! Don’t get scared vegan and gluten-free does not have to mean bland and devoid of flavor. I promise!
A fruit crisp is one of my favorite desserts for two reasons – easy and delicious. You don’t have to be a professional or even a consistent home baker to make one successfully. A fruit crisp also works with almost any fruit that can stand up to baking – apples, pears, peaches, cherries, blueberries…the list goes on. As Christmas is but only one week away I have decided to use the flavors of tart cranberries and sweet crisp apples.
Cranberry and apple
The combination of cranberry and apple is a holiday staple and there is a good reason why. They go perfectly together, not to mention the festive color. Beautiful fresh cranberries add holiday cheer to any dish.
Vegan and gluten-free
To make this cranberry apple crisp vegan I used my favorite vegan butter by Miyoko’s. To keep it gluten-free I used a combination of almond flour and gluten-free all-purpose flour from Trader Joe’s and it worked beautifully. If you are not vegan, gluten-free, or just not interested in using these alternatives you can use regular unsalted dairy butter and all-purpose flour in the same amounts listed in the recipe.
Vegan Cranberry Apple Crisp (GF)
- 3 cups Apples (Honeycrisp, Gala or Fuji) Peeled and chopped
- 2 cups Cranberries Fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp Gluten-free flour
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Orange zest
- 3 cups Quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup Almond flour
- 1/2 cup Vegan butter Melted
- 1/2 cup Light brown sugar Packed
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Almond extract Optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In one mixing bowl combine the apples, cranberries, and all other filling ingredients and mix until combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl mix together all of the topping ingredients.
- Spray an 11×7 or 9×9 baking dish with cooking spray. Add the cranberry apple mixture and spread evenly.
- Crumble the topping over the fruit and bake for 50-55 minutes.
- Allow the crisp to cool a bit before serving. Top with vegan ice cream, whipped cream or eat plain.
-Although tart apples like the Granny Smith are often used in desserts, I decided to use sweet apples because the cranberries are already very tart. Using a naturally sweeter apple allows for the use of less sugar in the recipe.
Try my delicious festive vegan cranberry apple crisp this holiday season and let me what you think. You don’t have to be vegan or gluten-free to love this dessert! Also, check out another of my holiday dessert recipes, Pumpkin Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting.
Happy cooking, happy eating 😊!