The Spring season brings about lots of wonderful fresh flowers, flavors, and food. Of course, my favorite of the three is food although I do love beautiful fresh flowers.🌸 I had some close girlfriends over for dinner this past Saturday and with Spring being just days away I wanted a fresh, vibrant menu. One of the items I decided on was a Spring Pea soup. Petite green peas and sugar snap peas are the main ingredients but fresh garlic and rosemary make great companions.
I noticed that most pea soups contain some sort of dairy to add creaminess and richness to the soup. As I have been moving away from eating too much dairy I opted for adding small Yukon gold potatoes to this pea soup. Peel and boil the potatoes and blend them together with the peas and other ingredients in the Vitamix and you will have a smooth, rich soup with its own creaminess and you don’t need dairy to do it. Also, because potatoes are inherently bland they don’t take away from the rich flavor of the peas. This Spring pea soup is pure pea flavor start to finish and it’s delicious.
Sometimes pea soups can get a bad rap because people think of the gross colored green pea soup from their childhood or worse, The Exorcist. But this soup is a vibrant and beautiful green color. It’s the stuff of dreams, not nightmares.
Healthy, flavorful, easy, and delicious! My favorite kind of recipe. 🤗
Spring Pea Soup
- 16 ounces Frozen petite green peas
- 1/4 lb Fresh sugar snap peas
- 2 Small Yukon gold potatoes or 1 medium
- 2 Celery stalks, sliced
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 Rosemary sprig
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups Vegetable broth
- 1 cup Water
- Salt & white pepper to taste
- White & green part of scallion, chopped for garnish
- Peel and boil the potatoes until fork tender.
- Saute sliced celery in the olive oil along with the smashed garlic clove and the sprig of celery.
- Boil frozen petite green peas in water for 5 minutes, adding in the fresh shelled sugar snap peas for the last 2 minutes.
- Drain the peas and add them to the container of a Vitamix along with the celery, garlic, and about half leaves from the spring of rosemary. Add in the broth and begin blending.
- Blend for approximately 30 seconds and begin adding sea salt and white pepper to taste. Continue blending until perfectly smooth. Serve with scallions as a garnish.
-If you do not own a Vitamix you can use an immersion blender by placing all of the cooked ingredients and the broth in one pot and begin blending. If you do not own either of these kitchen tools but think your blender is powerful enough to blend the ingredients into soup, go for it!
Thanks for checking out my easy Spring Pea Soup. Check out another of my soup recipes- Easy Red Lentil Soup.
Happy cooking, happy eating! 😊