Peach and Blackberry Crisp! I am celebrating summer to the very end! September is finally here and after the hottest summer in NY that I can remember, I am definitely looking forward to COOLER weather! Although Labor Day has come and gone summer is not officially over yet. The last day of summer this year is September 21st. With that in mind, I decided to take advantage of the still ripe fresh peaches and juicy blackberries and make a peach and blackberry crisp.
A crisp aka crumble (depending upon which part of the country you live) is very easy to make and is great for summer and autumn months. Hint…hint stay tuned for an apple version in the fall.
Peaches and blackberries are a lovely combination for fruit crisp because they both hold up well to baking, they sing Summer and they play nicely together. Yes, your ingredients must get along. Haha!
The topping on a fruit crisp is very important. It should be sweet, buttery, and have a slight crisp on the outside and chew on the inside. I use mostly almond flour with the oats because it leaves my stomach feeling less heavy after eating compared to when I use only all-purpose flour. If you have a gluten intolerance, use all almond flour.
Peach and Blackberry Crisp
- 3 cups Peaches 5-6 peaches
- 2 cups Blackberries
- 1/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon Optional
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups Quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup Almond flour
- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat the baking dish using butter or non-stick cooking spray
- Peel and slice the peaches
- In a large mixing bowl add the peaches, blackberries, and cornstarch. Stir to combine.
- Next add the sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Gently stir to combine without breaking the blackberries.
- In a separate bowl combine the oats, almond flour, AP flour, brown sugar, salt, and butter using a pastry cutter or your fingers. Continue mixing until it resembles large crumbs or a crumbly dough.
- Add the fruit to the prepared baking dish and top evenly with the oat crumble.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Allow the crisp to cool once removed from the oven.
- Serve as is or with ice cream or whipped cream.
-I love blackberries! They are one of my absolute favorite berries. If you prefer to use blueberries or strawberries I’m sure those would work as well.
-If you are looking for a new pie dish I purchased mine from Sur La Table.
Whether you bake on a regular basis or are intimidated by the thought of it, this is a great dessert to start with because it is SO easy to make. It is fruity, warm, comforting, and delicious. Fruit crisp is a year-round dessert so give this one a try and let me know what you think! Also, check out one of my favorite autumn desserts, Vegan Cranberry Apple Crisp.
Happy cooking, happy eating! 😊