My Instant Pot is the best kitchen item I have purchased this year by far! Every year I make butternut squash soup. I even have another recipe for it on the blog but this is my first butternut squash soup in the Instant Pot. It cooks in less than 15 minutes, which is basically unheard of for butternut squash soup. It is also a one-pot meal so it’s a double win.
Butternut squash is as easy to find this time of year as an apple so why not use it? It has a mild flavor that is very pleasing and unobtrusive. Butternut squash is also low in fat and a good source of Vitamin E, B-6, and niacin. Using vegetable broth and coconut milk helps keep my Instant Pot butternut squash soup strictly vegan 🌱.
Butternut Squash Soup
In this version of my butternut squash soup, I have added a few extras that are not in my original recipe. Half a granny smith apple, sage, carrots, and ginger are among the additions. When I first made this recipe I used an entire granny smith apple and it was a little too sweet for me. Using half adds a bit of sweetness but not too much. Also, I wouldn’t advise using another type of apple because it will definitely be too sweet. Granny smiths are known for being more on the tart side.
Vitamix or Immersion blender
Once the veggies have cooked in the Instant Pot they still need to be blended into a soup. You have two options for this an immersion blender or a Vitamix. I am a Vitamix owner so that is the route I took. If you have an immersion blender, go for it!
Slice the butternut squash in half lengthwise.
Remove the seeds and pulp even if you don’t plan to roast and eat the seeds.
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot
- Vitamix or Immersion Blender
- 1 Butternut squash, peeled and chopped (pulp and seeds removed)
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple, chopped
- 1 Yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Celery stalk, chopped
- 6 Sage leaves
- 1 Garlic clove smashed
- 1/2 tsp Ginger, chopped
- 4 Vegetable broth
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can Unsweetened coconut milk
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Select the Saute button on the Instant Pot.
- Add the olive oil, onion, garlic, ginger, celery, and carrots. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash and all other ingredients except the coconut milk and give everything a quick stir.
- Switch the Instant Pot function from Saute to Pressure Cook and set the timer for 10 minutes.
- Once the timer stops switch the nozzle to release.
- After the pressure has fully released and it is safe to do so, remove the lid.
- Use either an immersion blender or a Vitamix to blend the contents into soup. If using a Vitamix you will have to do it in two batches.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with a drizzle of coconut milk and the toasted seeds.
-Here are easy instructions for roasted pumpkin seeds if you have never done it before.
-Use a butternut squash that weighs at least 2-3 pounds.
-I did not peel the Granny Smith apple because the Vitamix blends everything seamlessly.
-Add more vegetable stock to the Vitamix canister if necessary.
-Add more salt and or cayenne once the soup is done if you think it is needed.
-I only add pepper when serving. Butternut squash soup has a mild flavor and too much pepper can easily overpower it.
Instant Pot butternut squash soup is a perfect dish for this time of year. Autumn flavors of squash and apple are celebrated is this quick and easy meal. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, no fear! I have a stovetop version of butternut squash soup which is just as good 😊. Also, check out my Swirled Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars which is another recipe perfect for autumn.
Happy cooking, happy eating! 😊