One of my favorite things about my Go Green Vegetable Soup is the vibrant green color! When I think of the split pea soup of my childhood, images of Exorcist vomit spring to the forefront of my mind. A brownish-green, grainy soup that does not look appetizing.
When I decided to make my own pea soup the first thing I thought to myself was, I want it to be green, vibrant green! I wanted it to look fresh, clean, healthy, and yes…pretty. I also wanted it to be vegan. Although the main vegetable ingredient is green peas this is not a split pea soup. While I do like the taste of split pea soup, if not the look, I wanted something brighter in appearance, taste, and mouthfeel.
This soup combines green peas, spinach, celery, parsley, and mint. Instead of adding heavy cream or half and half, I use a boiled potato to get the creaminess that would otherwise come from a dairy product. This is a great soup for Winter, as most soups are but also for Spring and Fall. I personally like soup all year round so it wouldn’t be strange for me to make this in the Summer.
I process this soup in my Vitamix as it blends leafy veggies into the smoothest texture I’ve ever seen by any blender or food processor. If you have a Vitamix you already know that it is truly next level! If you don’t have a Vitamix…go buy one. Just kidding…sort of. If you are using a different type of blender, I can’t say for certain that the vegetables and herbs will break down into a smooth, velvety texture but the overall taste will still be there. An immersion blender might work as well.
Go Green Vegetable Soup
- 4 cups Green peas Fresh or frozen
- 3 cups Vegetable broth
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Spinach leaves Fresh
- 1 cup Kale Fresh
- 2 tbsp Mint leaves Chopped
- 2 tbsp Italian or flat-leaf parsley Chopped
- 1 Yellow potato Small to medium, peeled and diced
- 1/2 Small yellow onion Diced
- 1 Celery stalk Chopped
- 1 clove Garlic Chopped
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Pour extra virgin olive oil into a dutch oven or stockpot, add onion, garlic, celery, and a bit of salt and pepper. Saute on low to medium heat until onion is translucent, making sure not to let it brown. Once softened add vegetable broth, the diced potato, kale, and peas.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for approximately 10 mins.
- Remove from the heat and add the spinach, mint, and parsley. Stir ingredients together.
- Pour the soup mixture into the canister of your Vitamix and blend until smooth- approximately 60 seconds.
- Taste and add more salt and/or pepper if necessary.
- Pour the Green Vegetable Soup into bowls and garnish with fresh mint leaves.
-While I chose to garnish my soup with fresh mint leaves, parsley or scallions would also pair nicely.
Happy cooking, happy eating 😊!